February 15, 2006

4-Legged Fur Therapy

There are three very special boys in my life--my husband and my dogs. All of which drive me absolutely nuts at times and all of which can be the very best therapy in the world.

Logan just turned a year old the end of January and still acts very much like a puppy. He is always on the move--chewing on a bone, picking fights with Dakota or barking at C and I. His big "brother" (although not related by bloodlines) is much more calm. Dakota would rather lay contentedly at your feet or in his kennel. Looking back, he began to grown out of the puppy phase and calm down shortly after he turned one. Hopefully Logan will follow his lead shortly.

Lately Logan has begun to settle into a nightly pre-bedtime routine. As soon as I crawl into bed he flops himself down on top of my chest. Often times if I'm not quick enough the covers end up in a puddle somewhere beneath his belly, no where near covering me. Logan weighs just slightly over 40 pounds, so him laying squarely on my chest isn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world. However, he lays with his head on my chest, looking at me with his beautiful, big, "cow-eyes" and licking my chin. As soon as I reach up to pet him, he picks his head up and pulls away from my face. I put my hand down and he lays his head back down, content. Last night as we did this he looked at me, as if to say, "Mom, you don't need to pet me as I lay here, just let me give you kisses and show you how much I love you."

That's why I love my dogs as much as I do. They love C and I unabashedly, unashamedly, unreservedly. But more important, unconditionally. It is reassuring to know that no matter what, they will accept, forgive, adore and be loyal to me, no matter what. All that they ask is that I give them the chance to do so.

See if you can find that in a $150/hour therapist.

0 comments: