July 6, 2006

My Pregnancy, Week 20

How big is your baby?


Up until this point your baby's length was measured from the crown of their head to the bottom of their rear end. Now your baby's length is measured from crown to heel. Your baby is about 8 inches long and weighs 9 ounces.



Actually, my ultrasound yesterday showed baby to weight 13 ounces and is measuring two days ahead of "schedule". No pics right yet as baby wouldn't cooperate for a good profile shot.

What is happening with your baby?


Your baby is covered in a white substance called vernix caseosa. This substance helps protect your baby's skin from becoming irritated while submersed in amniotic fluid, and it also aids the baby's passage through the birth canal during labor.

Your baby is beginning to produce meconium, a dark green or black sticky substance that constitutes a baby's first messy diaper. A few babies pass meconium while in the uterus or during labor. Meconium consists of cell loss, amniotic fluid that has been swallowed, and digestive secretions.



What changes are occurring with your body?


The top of your uterus is now at the same level as your belly button. You may have gained an average of 8 to 10 pounds up until this point. Expect to gain ½ a pound to one pound per week during the rest of your pregnancy. The amount of weight may be more or less depending on your pre-pregnancy weight. Your doctor or midwife should let you know how your weight gain is doing and if you need to make any adjustments in your eating and activity level.



Weight gain is at 9 pounds so far and my doc is super excited about that considering I was so sick at the beginning. She said that it is very realistic for me to stay in the "safe" zone of gaining about 35 pounds for this whole pregnancy. This is what my body looks like so far...



And don't worry...I made sure to clean that mirror this morning!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I think you look beautiful. I couldn't be happier that things are going so well with you and with the baby.

Jessica said...

Cute picture! It's good you're gaining weight, especially since you've been through so much sickness. Glad that the measurements of the baby were on target. Let us know when you can get another ultrasound picture for us to see!

Kristin, Rod, and Victoria said...

You look absolutely great! The way you were talking I was expecting you to be HUGE :) but you look wonderful. It's funny - I never noticed how dirty our mirror was till I looked at the belly shots!!

I'm so glad that the u/s went well and baby's right on target. You're more than halfway there!!!

Sami said...

Hey you're halfway there... and you look great. I don't even want to think what my bathroom mirror looks like... want to come clean mine?

Congrats on the excellent doctor's visit and u/s and hopefully next time the peanut cooperates and lets them see everything that they want to see and gives you guys a good profile shot.

Plant Girl said...

You girls are really too nice. It looks worse in the bare belly pic, but I wasn't brave enough to post that here! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»