November 29, 2007

Serenity

The house is totally quiet this morning as I sit here, working through some emails. All I can hear is the hum of my laptop and KT's humidifier over the baby monitor.

For me, this is the most productive, and relaxing time of day. I can sit here with a cup of coffee (or two) and actually get some work done. There are no interruptions as my phone rarely rings before 11am and the dogs are still nestled in our bed. I can fully concentrate on the tasks that I need to accomplish instead of simultaneously trying to write an email and keep my toddler from banging on the TV screen in the living room.

It used to be that 80% of my day was like this. By 6pm I could close the cover on my laptop and be done with work most evenings. Now, 5 out of 7 nights a week, I'm working at 11pm.

Is it bad to say that this quietness is one of the things I miss the most from my pre-baby life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get some of your Serenity.....Loves - Susan

Jessica said...

Nah, I don't think that it's bad. I think all of us mommy's kind of wish we had that back. But, I wouldn't trade my little munchkin for anything :) Sometimes, it's all I can do not to bang my head hard on something to stop the chaos!

Glad you're having a productive (and quiet!) morning.