October 13, 2006

Big Baby

I had my 34 week OB appointment on Tuesday and I realized earlier that I still hadn't posted an update here for everyone.

BP: 120/68.
Weight: same as 31wk appointment, total weight gain so far is 28 pounds.
Swelling: "Much better" according to my OB, but still present.
Fundal height: between 38 and 39 weeks.

Yup. Butterball is once again measuring WAY ahead. My OB is slightly concerned and has scheduled an ultrasound for the 25th to get a better look at the baby. She said that it could just be increased amniotic fluid around the baby, but better to be safe than sorry.

Overall, my doctor is extremely pleased with how everything is progressing. Although she'd rather I wasn't still needing to take the Zofran daily, she sympathizes and won't force me to wean myself before labor and delivery. She's glad to see that my blood pressure is good, that the swelling hasn't progressed (and has actually gotten better) and that I've gained an appropriate amount of weight all things considered. Normally she'd be concerned that a patient hadn't gained any weight between appointments. Especially at this point in a pregnancy when typical weight gain is 1/2 to a full pound a week. But she think I am gaining weight but losing water weight at the same time so it's evening out.

One other concern though is that Butterball is still breech. Head still up high, stuck in my ribs just below my heart. At the ultrasound we'll check to see if baby has turned and gone "head down". If not we'll discuss options at that point. After a few long conversations with C (and many, many hours of reading websites and childbirth books) I've come to the decision that I want to go through labor and delivery med-free. I'm not trying to be heroic, it's just something that I believe in and want to do. A breech baby could seriously complicate this hope.

So in the meantime I'm drinking lots of water to keep plenty of amniotic fluid around the baby, going to the chiropractor to loosen up my back and pelvis and doing all sorts of crazy poses and natural remedies to try to encourage this little one to flip around. Let's hope that something works in the next 12 days and baby settles nicely into my pelvis for the remainder of its confinement.

A girl can hope, can't she?

1 comments:

Jessica said...

We're pulling for you that the baby turns around before your appointment. You never know what they're going to do! I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better. Not too much longer!